12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (Flexible)
- Second semester 2018 (Flexible)
Must be enrolled in course owned by Faculty of Education.
This unit comprises a small scale, self-directed inquiry project focusing on an issue or problem derived from a professional or workplace context. Students select an area to inquire into and define relevant question(s) to guide their inquiry. With guidance, students scope out the design of a project that enquires into the identified issue. They examine related literature that addresses the defined issue. This includes consideration and/ or collection of a small range of primary evidence to supplement the inquiry. The evidence is interpreted in the light of the issue investigated and the areas for future professional action or development are highlighted.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- identify how to understand and examine a particular professional issue or problem
- articulate the design aspects of an inquiry project and draw on appropriate evidence to examine the issue
- access and examine evidence that is relevant to the professional issue or problem
- identify implications for professional thinking and practice in the specific professional context and related to the issue
- document their inquiry process
Project plan (3200 words equivalent, 40%)
Project (4800 words, 60%)
Flexible mode offers a stand-alone online offering that allows students to learn and engage in content and assessment in a supported way. It also provides a face-to-face component over the semester to engage students with the online learning content, which students can attend if they are able and interested.
Minimum total expected workload equals 288 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for flexible students:
- 12 contact hours and 24 hours equivalent of online activities over the semester or
- 36 hours equivalent of online activities over the semester
- Requirements for offshore Kaplan-based students:
- one intensive block (usually from Thursday to Sunday)
- at least 14 hours of online study per term
- Additional requirements (all students):
- independent study to meet the minimum required hours per semester
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Option for Master of Education in:
General education studies
Elective for Master of Teaching in: