12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (Flexible)
In this unit students are invited to draw on their experience as educators in diverse contexts and (re)consider teaching and learning through a range of challenging perspectives. Over a series of modules, students explore ideas about: teaching with purpose, teaching as relationship, and teaching with emotion. The unit requires students to think deeply about the philosophical purposes that guide their practice, the kinds of educator-learner relationships they develop and the kinds of knowledge forms that they draw into their teaching and learning. This work should provoke new ideas on and application of these aspects. Participation in this unit does not rely on prior teaching qualifications but on enthusiasm for teaching.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- understand multiple theoretical perspectives about teaching and learning
- critically examine their own educational approaches through a range of theoretical lenses
- develop and evaluate new approaches to their own professional practice as educators.
Reflective tasks (4000 words equivalent, 50%)
Research essay (4000 words, 50%)
Flexible mode offers a stand-alone online offering that allows students to learn and engage in content and assessment in a supported way. It also provides a face-to-face component of 12 hours over the semester to engage students with the online learning content, which students can attend if they are able and interested.
Minimum total expected workload equals 288 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for flexible students:
- 12 contact hours and 24 hours equivalent of online activities over the semester or
- 36 hours equivalent of online activities over the semester
- Additional requirements (all students):
- independent study to meet the minimum required hours per semester
See also Unit timetable information