12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit develops students' ethical practice in a variety of psychological and research contexts. It covers the ethical dilemmas that might exist in psychologists' research, educational or professional roles in different workplaces. Ethical approaches pertaining to the practice of psychology, conducting research, assessments, and program design and evaluation are discussed. The unit considers these activities across a variety of contexts, such as in person, postal, telephone, internet and other electronic transmissions. Ethical, legal and moral issues are considered and discussed. The unit also provides guided rehearsal and development of skills relating to general professional psychological practice.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- understand the Australian Psychological Society (APS) code of ethics and its application across a variety of contexts and professional roles
- identify the ethically complex situations that can develop in the application of psychological principles in practice and in research
- appreciate the range of behavioural responses to ensure ethical behaviour in all aspects of the science and practice of psychology
- apply decision-making strategies to enact and maintain appropriate ethical conduct.
Supervised practicum related activities are undertaken in this unit which contribute to the total placement hours required in.
Essay (3000 words, 40%)
Group presentation and report (3000 words equivalent, 40%)
Weekly quiz (2000 words equivalent, 20%)
Minimum total expected workload equals 288 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- 2.5-hour lecture/workshop per week
- 0.5 hour per week supervision of placement-related activity
- Additional requirements (all students):
- independent study to make up the required minimum hours per week
See also Unit timetable information