6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
Enrolment in D3001 BEd(Hons), D3002 to D3009 BEd(Hons)(Secondary doubles), D6001 MTeach
This unit is part B of a two-part unit and must be taken in conjunction with part A (EDF5163).
Building on EDF5163 (Media education in the secondary years A), this unit continues to prepare specialist teachers of media studies to teach in secondary schools. Drawing on a range of national and international literature, it further develops students' critical understandings of historical and current debates in media education and trends in contemporary practice and curriculum. Working collaboratively and independently, and exploring some basic research approaches, students examine different approaches to teaching and researching key media studies topics, including media industry, social values and the media, audience and media influence and media production. Students apply their knowledge of these topics to design, implement and critically reflect on sequential programs of media studies lessons and assessment programs for diverse students at a range of levels with an awareness of national and international curriculum documents.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- further develop their understanding of the scope and purpose of media studies
- understand and critically evaluate different approaches to teaching media studies
- identify, evaluate and use different resources for teaching media studies across different year levels
- develop and critically reflect on sequences of lessons that meet the requirements of various curriculum documents and research the effectiveness of some of these sequences
- understand and implement effective assessment programs for Years 7 to 12 media studies and for students of diverse backgrounds and abilities
- understand the ethical, safety and legal issues associated with the teaching of media studies in secondary schools and develop procedures to respond to these issues.
Assessment design task (2000 words, 50%)
Unit of work with a minor action research component (2000 words equivalent, 50%)
Minimum total expected workload equals 144 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- 2-3 contact hours per week
- Additional requirements
- independent study to make up the minimum required hours per week
See also Unit timetable information