6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
This unit further develops students' understanding of the key concepts and practical applications of curriculum, curriculum theory, assessment and evaluation. Students build their capacity to apply their knowledge of assessment strategies including informal and formal, diagnostic, formative and summative approaches, and assessment moderation and its application to assessing and improving student learning in varied contexts. They learn how to provide feedback and report to students and parents using accurate and reliable records of student achievement.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- understand the key principles of curriculum theory, assessment and evaluation
- develop and apply assessment practices within and across learning areas and subjects in local and national curriculum
- demonstrate understanding of assessment strategies including informal and formal, diagnostic, formative and summative approaches, and assessment moderation and its application to assessing student learning
- demonstrate broad knowledge of assessment and evaluation strategies that can be used to evaluate teaching programs to improve student learning
- demonstrate an understanding of the purpose of providing timely and appropriate feedback and reporting to students and parents using accurate and reliable records of student achievement.
Designing assessment tasks: catering for student diversity (2000 words equivalent, 50%)
Development of assessment tasks for integrated curriculum (2000 words equivalent, 50%)
Minimum total expected workload equals 144 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- 2 contact hours per week including lectures, tutorials and online activities
- Additional requirements:
- independent study to make up the minimum required hours per week
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
For course 3750:
Education - P-10 and special educationEducation - P-10 and special education (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2014handbooks/aos/education---p-10-and-special-education/)
For course D3001: