6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit further builds students' capacity for leadership in mathematics and numeracy learning, through development of their discipline-based learning in mathematics and numeracy at primary levels. Students engage in learning about mathematics content in curriculum at local, national and international levels. In addition, students are involved in personal skill building for leading teams and understanding theoretical perspectives of leadership of educational change.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- demonstrate development in their personal skills in primary mathematics and numeracy leadership
- demonstrate further understanding of their mathematical and numeracy content knowledge in line with local, national and international curriculum
- show increased knowledge of teachers' pedagogical content knowledge in mathematics
- evaluate theoretical perspectives on the leadership of educational change
- reflect on characteristics of effective mathematics and numeracy professional development.
Research report on mathematics and numeracy learning (2000 words equivalent, 50%)
Design of a mathematics professional development workshop to develop discipline knowledge (2000 words equivalent, 50%)
Minimum total expected workload equals 144 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- 2 contact hours per week
- Additional requirements:
- independent study to make up the required minimum hours per week
See also Unit timetable information