6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit is part A of a two-part unit and must be taken in conjunction with part B (EDF3024).
This unit further develops students' understanding of varied methods and practices in the teaching and learning of disciplines, subjects and learning priorities in primary schools. Through this advanced pedagogy unit, students build on their prior learning of discipline and practice principles and concepts from across the course to further develop skills in a number of areas including lesson and unit planning, achieving learning outcomes for students, developing differentiated curriculum and individual planning for diverse learner needs, selection and preparation of appropriate teaching resources and assessment strategies, and selection of appropriate content and teaching procedures.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- demonstrate and apply their understanding of varied methods, practices and research in the teaching and learning of disciplines, subjects and learning areas in primary school settings
- develop and share examples of lessons and units encompassing differentiated curriculum and individual planning for diverse learner needs
- select and use appropriate resources and strategies for the teaching of disciplines, subjects and learning priorities in the primary years
- understand and utilise policy, curriculum and research to inform teaching and learning in primary school contexts.
Lesson plan (can include individual and/or paired/group work) (2000 words or equivalent per student, 50%)
Integrated unit of work (can include individual and/or paired/group work) (2000 words or equivalent per student, 50%)
Minimum total expected workload equals 144 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- 2 contact hours per week
- Additional requirements:
- 10 hours of independent study per week
See also Unit timetable information