6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Ann Guns (Peninsula)
Successful completion of at least 12 credit points of education units
In this unit students develop their knowledge and understanding of key priorities in the Victorian and the Australian Curriculum, including Asia and Australia's engagement with Asia and education for sustainability, and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples histories and cultures, as well as of general capabilities, including literacy, numeracy, intercultural understanding, personal and social capabilities, ethical understanding, creativity and critical thinking and the use of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) in schools. Students will learn how to develop strategies and utilise resources to respond to curriculum priorities and capabilities when teaching diverse learners. Through a range of research and investigations of exemplars of teaching and learning in schools in local and global contexts, students build their understanding of professional practice and education priorities.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- build professional knowledge of Victorian curriculum priorities and Australian curriculum capabilities
- implement these through planning and developing teaching and learning approaches based on relevant curriculum documents
- access and utilise a range of resources for teaching and learning and assessment practices related to these priorities and capabilities
- understand and critically comment on a specific education priority.
Lesson planning for education priorities and capabilities (2000 words equivalent, 50%)
Research essay demonstrating knowledge and critical understanding of a key education priority or capability (2000 words, 50%)
Minimum total expected workload is 144 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- 2 hours per week (in non-placement weeks) of lectures/tutorials/workshops
- Additional requirements:
- independent study to make up the minimum required hours per semester
See also Unit timetable information