6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
(or ) and ( or ECE2021 or PHS2022)
ECE4806, ECE5086, ECE5806
This unit will introduce a range of medical imaging technologies currently used in health care, covering aspects of technical design, medical image analysis, systems integration and emerging technologies. It introduces students to the wide range of imaging modalities with an emphasis on the design and technical development of each modality. Future needs on medical imaging in health care and emerging medical imaging technologies will be covered. Image analysis and visualisation in the context of image guided therapy, image guided surgery, and virtual reality based simulation will also be covered.
- To provide an introduction to medical imaging equipment and systems.
- To study medical imaging systems, including computational methods, analysis, design and performance requirements.
- To be able to evaluate future medical imaging systems.
- To become familiar with medical imaging equipment safety and regulation.
Continuous assessment: 40% + Examination: (2 hours) 60%.
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component (assignments, tests, mid-semester exams, laboratory reports) and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
3 hours lectures, 3 hours laboratory and practice classes and 6 hours of private study per week
See also Unit timetable information