6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit places the more abstract concepts and studies undertaken in Design Studio 1 in the context of design practice to meet human needs. The project work uses simplified professional projects to ensure students start to consider all aspects of design problems. The projects involve the use of brief, analysis of requirements, design problem solving methods, synthesis of design resolutions and communication of design solutions. The primary concern in the subject is for the student to be able to overcome the project constraints in order to integrate the range of requirements and issues, and achieve a holistic design that addresses human needs.
On successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- analyse a simple design brief
- understand the range of technical factors and cultural issues that must be considered for a meaningful and satisfying outcome of requirements
- explore and evaluate design options
- apply problem solving methods, synthesise design resolutions and communicate solutions using models, presentation and technical drawings
- achieve an integrated holistic design at a basic level that addresses human needs
- observe and employ occupational health and safety appropriate to studio practice.
One minor project: 20% Two major projects: 80%
4 studio hours plus 8 hours independent study weekly
See also Unit timetable information