6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Summer semester A 2018 (On-campus)
Students must have achieved a 65 average over three level-two
or level-three chemistry units or; special permission from the unit coordinator.
If not already taken, students are required to complete 18 points of level three chemistry units. These units can be completed prior to or within the calendar year of the CHM3990 enrolment (or across two years if applicable).
This course allows students to devote themselves to a substantial laboratory project as part of their final year of study in Chemistry. The project may be carried out within the School of Chemistry teaching and research laboratories or in an industrial laboratory by arrangement and approval of the Head of School. Allied with the practical work will be tutorial materials and discussion on formal matters relating to OH&S, database searching, data analysis and presentation and report presentation.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of modern laboratory practices and procedures;
- Practice an in depth understanding of one or several aspects of modern practical chemistry;
- Demonstrate safe laboratory practices and apply OHSE principles;
- Use chemical databases to aid in the design of a project strategy;
- Analyse data associated with a project and relate this to overall project goals;
- Present their data and conclusions to the broader chemistry community in both oral and written formats;
- Analyse how their project links to the social and environmental responsibility of chemists in the global community.
Laboratory work: 20% + Reflective assessment: 10% + Project report: 60% + Oral presentation: 10%
72 hours of laboratory work per semester plus additional private study time
See also Unit timetable information