6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2018
Admission to an Art & Design course or permission
APA1102, or APA1112, or APA1214
This unit gives students the opportunity to further develop the ideas concepts, materials and processes begun in the corresponding Ceramics 1A unit. Students will begin to establish an individual and self directed practice within the broad parameters of the ceramics discipline. Methods and materials specific to the ceramics studio discipline will be demonstrated and practiced. Students will be encouraged to develop appropriate links between these methods and other means of creative self-expression. Set projects will require students to develop technical skills hand in hand with their understanding of concepts of current relevance.
On successful completion of this unit, students should:
- have acquired a more discerning and critical awareness in relation to design, selection of materials, working techniques, and conceptual development associated with set exercises and self-generated projects
- have increased technical and aesthetic fluency, and begin to initiate, develop and express personal aesthetic solutions in the medium of choice
- demonstrate an initial grasp of the importance of research to art practice
- be able to present their work in critique sessions with growing confidence as to its theoretical and historical rationale
- gain confidence in their ability to communicate (in oral, written and visual form) responses to contemporary issues of both technical and conceptual relevance
- understand and apply the principles of occupational health and safety practices in the Ceramics studio, and be able to collaborate and co-operate safety and productively within the studio environment.
Folio of studio work:100%, of which at least 20% will be assessed before mid-semester.
12 hours per week, including four hours of taught studio and eight hours of personal study and studio practice
See also Unit timetable information