6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Department of Business Law and Taxation
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
BTW1042 or equivalent.
BTC2720, BTF2991, BTG2241, BTG3241, BTW3241
The unit introduces students to the legal framework within which individual employment relations operate in Malaysia and Australia. Topics include important workplace relations issues like the rights and duties underpinning the contract of employment, unfair dismissal, constructive dismissal, discrimination and occupational health and safety law. Selected International Labour Organisation Conventions are analysed in relation to aspects of current employment protection law and policy.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- describe the legal framework that regulates the relationship between employer and employee in Malaysia and Australia
- define and analyse the scope of the contract of employment
- evaluate the nature of rights and duties within the employment relationship
- discuss the various types of workplace dismissals
- explain the role and influence of the International Labour Organisation.
Within semester assessment: 60% + Examination: 40%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information