6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Department of Business Law and Taxation
- First semester 2018 (Evening)
The unit aims to develop knowledge and skills, and an understanding of the relationship between the common law, statute law and awards and agreements. In this regard, the unit introduces students to the central tenets of the contract of employment including the formation of the contract, breach of contract and wrongful dismissal, confidentiality, restrictive covenants, employee/independent contractor issues and discrimination law.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- identify a wide range of legal issues affecting the employment relationship, with a particular focus on the contract of employment
- illustrate the practical implications of employment law by identifying emerging issues in the media, the workplace and the case law
- apply the legal principles from relevant cases to hypothetical scenarios
- evaluate the principles underlying employment laws and assess the law's impact on the employment relationship.
Within semester assessment: 40% + Examination: 60%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information