6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Department of Business Law and Taxation
- Winter semester 2018 (On-campus block of classes)
Trade and investment regimes affecting enterprises operating in the Asian region. International and regional trade conventions. Business and investment laws of selected Asian nations. Topics covered include national development planning; the political context of international trade and investment; import/export regulation; foreign investment regimes, corporate governance, prudential regulation in East Asia and dispute resolution.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- define and describe the history and current operation of regional trade and investment agreements in Asia
- describe and demonstrate an understanding of the historical, economic and political context of national legal systems in selected Asian jurisdictions (Malaysia, Indonesia, China and Hong Kong)
- identify and describe the operation of the institutions responsible for the administration of commercial laws in select Asian jurisdictions
- have used accepted legal research methodology to examine in detail their choice from a number of specialised topics related to commercial law in one or more Asian jurisdictions
- identify, analyse and propose possible resolutions to legal issues arising from the conduct of business activities in one or more selected Asian jurisdictions.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information