6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
To be advised
To be advised
- Full year 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 to First semester 2019 (On-campus)
Enrolment in an approved Honours in the discipline of anatomy and developmental biology, biochemistry, human pathology, immunology, microbiology, pharmacology or physiology
BCH4220,, DEV4220, IMB4220, MIC4220, PHA4220, PHY4220
BMH4220 year aims to develop analytic abilities and critical thinking skills as well as provide students with advanced knowledge in specific areas of Biomedical Science. Students will choose to undertake one of the five modules within BMH4220 that relates to the discipline area of their research project. Each module within the unit BMH4220 will include common coursework activities and a common assessment regime. Students will attend a lecture/seminar series and will undertake technical training on data analysis and interpretation relating to the discipline area. Students will critique a journal article, which is distinct from their research topic in, in written or oral format.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Critically review scientific literature in the discipline area of research;
- Apply knowledge of current methodologies and concepts to appraise scientific literature in the discipline area;
- Apply analytical and data analysis techniques relevant to the discipline area of research;
- Effectively communicate concepts in the discipline area of research both in writing and orally.
Advanced discipline theory work: 40%
Advanced technical training: 60%
To be advised by Honours coordinator
See also Unit timetable information