6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
Students must have their proposed project and supervisor approved by the unit coordinator prior to enrolment. In addition students must have at least a distinction average across 24 points of level 2 BIO/GEN units.
An individual research project in a discipline relating to a major area of study, conducted under supervision. Includes critical literature review, experimental design and data analysis. Student must maintain regular contact with supervisor(s) and subject coordinator.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Comprehend the fundamental process and requirements of scientific research;
- Review and critically evaluate the scientific literature within a relevant discipline;
- Demonstrate skills in experimental design, data collection and statistical analysis;
- Interpret experimental results, and place the results in the broader context of the research discipline;
- Communicate scientific findings and their implications, via presentations and written reports.
Oral presentation: 10%
Poster presentation: 15%
Written reports: 65%
Supervisor's assessment of project planning, conduct and development: 10%
- Approximately 12 hours per week
See also Unit timetable information