6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
Students must have passed one of the following units: AFC2140,, , , BFP2140, , BFF2631 or AFF2631 before undertaking this unit.
This unit considers characteristics of property investment, valuation of real estate assets, real estate market analysis, the role of equilibrium asset pricing models, real estate and portfolio theory, measurement of risk and return, indices and pricing models, the effect of leverage and taxation, real estate in mixed asset portfolios, listed and unlisted property trusts, property management and development projects.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- analyse investments in asset classes with particular emphasis on property
- critically examine the different types of property, characteristics of property markets, the role of professional investors and managers and the nature of investment vehicles employed
- explain property cycles and the role of property in investment portfolios
- evaluate property based on risk of cash flows
- apply critical thinking, problem solving and presentation skills in individual and/or group activities dealing with property investment and demonstrate in an individual summative assessment task the acquisition of a comprehensive understanding of the topics covered by BFX3355.
Within semester assessment: 40% + Examination: 60%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information