6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (Evening)
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit is designed to introduce the concept of risk as a business philosophy and to introduce students to the Australian Risk Management Standard, AS/NZS/ISO31000:2009. It will look at the evolution of risk, the requirements for risk management, the risk management process and steps, and the application of risk management.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the scope, application and definition of risk
- explain the risk management requirements needed of a business entity of the 21st century
- compare and contrast the risk management process with existing approaches to governance, compliance and control
- link the risk approach to effective business control, by reference to AS/NZS/ISO31000:2009
- understand the steps and the logic of the sequence
- demonstrate in an individual summative assessment task the acquisition of a comprehensive understanding of the topics covered by BFF5902.
Within semester assessment: 50% + Examination: 50%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information