6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit will examine the development of investment/merchant banking in Australia and overseas; specialised financial services in project finance, structured finance and infrastructure finance; venture capital; initial public offering activities; financial advisory work including mergers and acquisitions; investment funds management activities; privatisation and corporatisation; and future directions of investment banking.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- describe the key operations of investment banks
- apply valuation models to companies
- explain regulations related to equity issues, mergers and acquisitions and share buybacks
- apply critical thinking, problem solving and presentation skills to individual and/or group activities dealing with investment banking.
Within semester assessment: 40% + Examination: 60%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information