6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Enrolment quota of 156 per semester
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
Students must have passed AFF2401,or equivalent before undertaking this unit.
This unit will combine classroom teaching and direct experiential learning in financial markets covering topics that may include market participants, treasury operations, market structures, dealer markets, liquidity and price formation. This unit is taught in the simulated trading and research laboratory (STARLab). It is a specialist, practically oriented unit where attendance is compulsory as assessment is based on classroom activities. An understanding of financial prices, returns and volatility is required.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- formulate portfolio management decisions
- compare and contrast differences between various market structures
- acquire an in-depth understanding of economic concepts such as market efficiency, performance evaluation and market structure regulation
- plan, verify and settle transactions completed in STARLab
- develop, implement, analyse and manage strategies in financial markets
- plan, organise and report on all activities involved in STARLab
- apply critical thinking, problem solving and presentation skills to individual and/or group activities dealing with treasury and financial markets.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information