6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Summer semester A 2018 (On-campus)
Permission from the unit coordinator. Students must have completed all first and second level units in their approved major, and be able to demonstrate that they have an appropriate project and supervisor(s). 12 points of study in the discipline area at 2nd year level and a grade point average of at least 70 over 24 points in relevant units at 2nd year level.
Additional information including application process is available from:
This unit provides the opportunity for high achieving students to work with an academic supervisor and complete a research project in Biochemistry. The research project may be chosen from a list of projects available at the beginning of semester from the Department of Biochemistry. The unit convenor and supervisor must approve the project topic at the time of enrolment. Student will work in a research laboratory to obtain data, will complete a written preliminary and final report and will give a series of oral presentations on their work.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Undertake a research project with regard to ethical and safety regulations;
- Demonstrate technical skills in experimental methods and the ability to collect, analyse and interpret data using methods relevant to the discipline of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology;
- Communicate appropriately and effectively with supervisors, laboratory staff and students;
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of experimental procedures, results and outcomes;
- Identify relevant published scientific literature and critically analyse and evaluate the content in the context of the discipline of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology;
- Construct written reports.
Two 15 minute oral reports (preliminary 10% and final 10%): 20%
Preliminary written reports(1,000 words): 10%
Final written report (5,000 words): 50% (Hurdle)
Assessment of laboratory work: 20%
This unit is subject to the Hurdle and Threshold Standards policiesHurdle and Threshold Standards policies (http://www.med.monash.edu.au/policies/assessment-policy-2017.html) of the Faculty of Medicine, Nursing & Health Sciences.
- 12 hours per week
See also Unit timetable information