24 points, SCA Band 1, 0.500 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Full year 2018 (On-campus)
, , ,
The aim of the unit is to enhance students' research competencies and to promote an in-depth understanding of a particular area of interest. By incorporating three distinct but interdependent modules: Research Design and Analysis (RDA); Research Ethics and Research Project, this unit will promote an integrated approach to advancing students' research competencies.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- Apply the fundamental principles, methods and techniques necessary to carry out sound research design and analysis.
- Appreciate the ethical codes and principles of conducting research in the South African context and globally.
- Critique, interpret, systematise and integrate theoretical analyses and empirical findings and present them in a cohesive written review.
- Conceptualise a topic against the backdrop of relevant theoretical formulations and extant research findings.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 576 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information