6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
Twelve credit points of second-year Arts units.
The unit may be offered as part of the Summer Arts ProgramSummer Arts Program (http://www.monash.edu/students/courses/arts/summer-program.html).
In this unit, students have the opportunity to obtain a greater practice-based understanding of print, audio, visual or on-line media. Students have to apply to the unit coordinator for enrolment in this unit. The unit coordinator will discuss and negotiate placement opportunities. Students are required to produce self-authored work for publication/broadcast and to write a reflective report on the process and tangible outcomes of the placement experience.
Students who successfully complete the unit should be able to demonstrate:
- Practical experience in journalistic media in South Africa or Africa more broadly;
- The capacity to analyse, evaluate and reflect on newsroom and journalism practices and about news.
- Capacity to apply the theories, principles and practice of journalism and how to apply what they have learnt in their undergraduate studies;
- Skills relevant to prospective employers in the journalism field;
- Evidence of having compiled a portfolio of experiences and publications gained throughout the placement;
- The ability to meet the demands of a professional workplace and the capacity to reflect critically on those demands.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information