6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
Japanese Intermediate 2 or equivalent
This is the first part of a sequence in upper intermediate Japanese. This unit covers both spoken language and contemporary written language and aims to enhance student's knowledge about Japan and the different varieties of the language. The unit also aims to develop student's study skills and intercultural competence.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Understand simple conversations or monologues on topics covered in class;
- Demonstrate their ability to keep listening even when they encounter unfamiliar vocabulary and grammar;
- Read texts (approx. 1500 characters) written for upper intermediate level of students with the assistance of dictionaries;
- Use online language resources effectively;
- Become more aware of different varieties of Japanese language and use appropriate speech styles according to context;
- Use communication strategies and communicate more naturally;
- Discuss various topics related to Japan if they prepare beforehand;
- Write a short essay (800-1000 characters) under exam conditions on a topic which they have researched;
- Reinforce their knowledge of kanji acquired so far
(approx. 300 kanji) and develop their knowledge of additional 150 new kanji
(including approx. 70 for recognition only).
Within semester assessment: 70% + Exam: 30%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information