6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit is only available to students enrolled in a Bachelor of Music single or double degree - Music composition specialisation.
- The unit has a compulsory ensemble componentensemble component (http://artsonline.monash.edu.au/music/category/performance-studies/student-ensembles/). Some ensembles are subject to audition. Normally, auditions take place in Week 1 of the semester. Please see the unit guide for further information.
- Students who fail this unit will need permission from the unit coordinator in order to repeat the unit.
This unit extends advanced skills in composition by requiring students to refine a personal compositional methodology influenced by various techniques and approaches. Students then apply this compositional methodology to develop well-articulated concepts for substantial works that integrate several distinct layers of material.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Develop a compositional methodology from a range of acquired techniques and approaches.
- Apply such a methodology to substantial musical works that integrate several distinct layers of material.
- Perform effectively in a chosen/approved ensemble and show performance practice awareness.
- Demonstrate perceptive music listening skills and informed peer reviewing skills through verbal critiques.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information