6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit involves students in teaching and learning activities equally developing language skills and cultural competence. It extends skills developed in in the areas of exposition and argument, with a focus on specific expository techniques: document synthesis and oral presentation of a sustained argument involving critical awareness of issues in contemporary France. Students develop advanced language skills and competence in the theory, research methodology and practices, and discourses involved in sophisticated critical enquiry, understanding and analysis in an area of French studies, working under guidance to define and carry out a project.
On completion of this unit, students should have developed:
- advanced analytical, expository and argumentative skills in the context of writing a synthesis of several documents and making a presentation on a given general topic;
- advanced knowledge and understanding of modern and contemporary France and its culture;
- more powerful explicit understanding of and competence in the theory, research methodology, practices and discourses of an area of French studies;
- the advanced language skills involved in developing critical enquiry and analysis and expressing outcomes and understandings in the framework of a research essay; individual and cooperative research skills, including;
- individual transferable research skills in accordance with the Research Skill Development Framework.
Within semester assessment: 80% + Exam: 20%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information