6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
or equivalent language competence
The unit will consist of two sections: Intermediate 2 Language and Culture
- Language: extend on Intermediate 1 practical language acquisition through oral practice and the use of contemporary written, aural and audiovisual materials representing selected situations and registers; consolidation and extension of grammatical knowledge through revision;
- Culture: an introduction to key aspects of Italian history, society and culture with a focus on the Renaissance and its connections to the present.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
- communicate (listen, speak, read and write) competently in a range of topics relevant to Italian society;
- extend, consolidate and utilise their knowledge of grammatical concepts and vocabulary with reasonable fluency in reading and writing;
- critically examine the cultural and artistic output, and enduring legacy, of the Italian Renaissance in the European context.
Within semester assessment: 60% + Exam: 40%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information