6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
Japanese Proficient 1() or equivalent
This is the second part of a sequence in upper intermediate Japanese. This unit covers both spoken language and contemporary written language and aims to enhance students' knowledge about Japanese modern and traditional culture. The unit also aims to develop students' research skills and intercultural competence.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- use listening skills to understand conversations or monologues on topics covered in class and to identify different genres;
- read texts (approx. 2000 characters) on various topics about Japan with the assistance of dictionaries;
- communicate in complex situations (e.g. explaining troubles);
- discuss broader topics about Japanese culture with Japanese native speakers;
- research and present on one of the topics studied in class;
- write an essay (1200-1400 characters) on a topic related to Japan with the assistance of dictionaries and other language and content resources;
- use kanji acquired so far (approx. 450 kanji) and recognise and begin to use additional 150 new kanji (including approx. 90 for recognition only).
Within semester assessment: 70% + Exam: 30%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information