6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
This is an Arts enrichment unitArts enrichment unit (https://www.monash.edu/pubs/2018handbooks/aos/arts-enrichment-units/index.html).
This unit introduces students to academic writing and the attitudes, values and practices of academic culture. The unit will help students to write effective essays at a tertiary level. There is a particular focus on how academic writing presents clear reasoning with evidence to support a position, and how the academic essay differs from other types of non-fiction writing, such as the opinion piece. Students will learn key principles of grammar and academic style conventions, as well as how to use sources correctly (finding, referencing, quoting, and paraphrasing) and avoid problems of plagiarism. Students will also learn how to plan, research, edit, and proofread essays to a high standard .
Upon successful completion of the unit students will be able to:
- identify and explain core attitudes, values and practices of academic culture and how academic writing reflects these;
- reflect critically on the differences between academic and opinion writing and apply this understanding in the composition of academic essays;
- utilise primary, secondary and tertiary sources in digital and print in their research;
- apply scholarly principles of referencing, quoting, paraphrasing;
- recognise and use the fundamental concepts of grammar, punctuation, spelling, usage and style;
- self-edit and revise writing in an academic context.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information