6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
The unit introduces students to ideas of social justice and Indigenous rights, focusing on the role of the state and its obligations to the international community, and Aboriginal human and civil rights and self-determination. Students will gain an appreciation of issues of Aboriginal sovereignty, land rights and native title. The unit considers histories of ideas of social justice and their relationship to colonisation in Australia.
The unit focuses on theories and practical applications of social justice and provides students with foundational knowledge required to undertake further Indigenous Studies.
On successful completion of the unit, students will:
- have gained an understanding of the theoretical ideas that have shaped understandings of social justice and Indigenous rights;
- have gained a broad understanding of particular social justice and human rights issues for Indigenous people, including sovereignty, questions of land and native title, service provision, and the historical treatment of Indigenous people;
- have developed an ability to reflect on their own relationship to questions of social justice;
- have developed an ability to critically analyse contemporary public discourse on issues of social justice and human rights;
- have engaged in assessment which reflects these understandings as well as an awareness of the value of interdisciplinary approaches to a study of this kind.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information