6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
Must be enrolled in course code A2002 or F2009 or B2028
This unit is a core unit for the Bachelor of Media CommunicationBachelor of Media Communication (https://www.monash.edu/pubs/2018handbooks/courses/A2002.html).
Knowledge of the evolving digital "grammar" of video production, broadcasting, news reporting, advertising, and social media is a powerful literacy that is essential for media communication professionals of the future. This "hands on", project-based unit provides you with a learning space where you can combine critical skills in digital literacy with practical skills in media production to develop digital fluency . You will work in small groups to create a collaborative media production that reflects on an aspect of media communication of relevance to your personal experience of communicating in the digital age. You will also have opportunities for self-initiated learning and individual assignments.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- identify and discuss the communicative role of specific media in digital media environments;
- analyse key elements of a variety of digital communication;
- think critically about the legal and ethical issues of digital communication;
- work reflectively, independently and collaboratively with peers to develop and communicate digital literacy skills;
- apply digital literacy skills to create a digital media work that critically reflects on the evolving languages of digital communication.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Bachelor of Media CommunicationBachelor of Media Communication (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2018handbooks/courses/A2002.html)