6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Students who have completed Year 12 French or its equivalent should not take this unit. This unit requires a language entry level testlanguage entry level test (http://www.monash.edu/arts/language-entry-level/).
This unit develops basic language skills (speaking/listening and reading/writing) beyond the level acquired inand provides an introduction to modern French society. It is designed for those with limited knowledge of French. Students will be encouraged to develop appropriate language learning strategies. Regular assessed homework and tests emphasize the continuous nature of language learning and the need for frequent practice. In the Specialized Culture component, students will explore an aspect of French culture and society and develop competence appropriate to their year level in the theory, practices and discourses involved in analysis of it.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- use basic speaking, listening, reading and writing skills (and appropriate vocabulary) to communicate effectively in French in a range of past, present and future situations and on a range of topics;
- locate information in basic texts in French;
- recognise and use key structures and sounds of French;
- identify and use prescribed grammatical items;
- critique aspects of modern and contemporary French history, values and identity and their evolution;
- interpret several prescribed sources to synthesise knowledge into a standard format.
Within semester assessment: 60% + Exam: 40%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information