6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit is only available to students enrolled in a Bachelor of Music single or double degree - Music composition or Ethnomusicology and musicology specialisations.
- The unit has a compulsory ensemble componentensemble component (http://artsonline.monash.edu.au/music/category/performance-studies/student-ensembles/). Some ensembles are subject to audition. Normally, auditions take place in Week 1 of the semester. Please see the unit guide for further information.
- Students who fail this unit will need permission from the unit coordinator in order to repeat the unit.
This unit develops fundamental technical skills in composition by requiring students to write short musical works that demonstrate knowledge of acoustic instruments and composition-related music technology skills. Students also learn how to respond with relevant compositional ideas to a set concept.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- identify the fundamental conventions of music notation;
- write short works that respond to relevant compositional ideas to a set concept, using fundamental compositional techniques;
- utilise basic composition-related music technology skills;
- identify and discuss the possibilities and limitations of acoustic instruments;
- perform competently in a chosen/approved music ensemble;
- demonstrate music listening skills through verbal critiques.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information