12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- First semester 2018 (On-campus block of classes)
In this unit students apply theoretical approaches to practical translation tasks in a variety of textual genres. The unit aims to develop students' abilities to translate texts of increasing levels of complexity and specialisation. The unit explores translation across a range of media. It complementsTranslation for Special Purposes, adopting a similar approach to learning and assessment, but exploring different genres and professional contexts.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- identify and discuss problems that specialised textual genres pose for translation;
- critically apply theoretical approaches to formulate strategies in response to translation problems;
- use a variety of specialised tools to translate effectively;
- employ effective strategies to translate multimodal texts, such as audiovisual and web-based texts.
Within semester assessment: 70% + Exam: 30%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information