12 points, SCA Band 3, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Trimester 3 2018 (On-campus block of classes)
- The unit has a domestic field tripdomestic field trip (http://artsonline.monash.edu.au/currentstudents/field-trips/) component and may incur an additional cost.
- The unit may be offered in non-standard teaching periodsnon-standard teaching periods (http://www.monash.edu/enrolments/dates/census).
Patterns of sustainable tourism product development and management and the contemporary role of planning for tourism. Key study areas comprise the future of global tourism, government policy and industry practice, the impacts of the tourism industry on the economy, communities and the environment and the design and implementation of tourism planning.
On successful completion of the unit students will be able to:
- Encourage critical analysis of sustainable tourism development in terms of potential positive and negative impacts on cultures and the environment
- Familiarise students with the historical origins of tourism so that they may apply their understanding to contemporary tourism patterns and dilemmas
- Acquaint students with the planning and policy making role of Governments, private operators and communities in tourism development
- Enable students to 'read' changes in tourism landscapes from which they can draw conclusions and raise questions about future tourism development
- Familiarise students with planning procedures for tourism purposes
- Develop students' research and presentation skills on tourism related subjects.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information