12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (Evening)
- First semester 2018 (Online)
- Second semester 2018 (Evening)
- Second semester 2018 (Online)
The unit serves as an introduction to all of the various forms of research, writing and production, which are honed and developed in later units. Working in all media - digital, print, video and audio - students learn the fundamentals of what journalism is, what news is, how to find and research stories and how to write and present them. Students are also introduced to multi-skilling, including self-editing, headline writing and photography. Students develop a number of stories working independently and in groups and are encouraged to get their stories published.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students should be able to work in all media to:
- Demonstrate an ability to identify and research a news story and conduct interviews.
- Demonstrate an ability to write in a clear, concise, factual way using news and feature conventions.
- Take appropriate photographs and caption them to complement a story.
- Identify key ethical and legal obligations associated with reporting.
- Work independently and in groups to produce news reports.
- Demonstrate an ability to set and meet deadlines, and report under pressure.
- Demonstrate an awareness of local, national and international people and events relevant to current issues and media issues related to lifestyle journalism.
- Demonstrate an ability to write under pressure.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information