12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (Evening)
The unit provides students with high level skills in research design, research methods and effective and ethical research practice for development work, and to enact change. The focus is on how development workers use research, identifying when research is the best approach, and how to use research to enact policy and practice transformation. Topics covered include successful research design, understanding and selecting appropriate qualitative and quantitative methods, ethical research practices, data analysis and fieldwork practice. We will also examine the importance of communicating research and promoting research uptake. Students complete both written work and oral presentations in these areas.
On successful completion of this units students will be able to:
- Apply advanced skills in research design;
- Apply advanced skills in qualitative and quantitative research methods;
- Demonstrate grounded knowledge of and practice in applying appropriate data collection, analysis and fieldwork practices for research;
- Apply knowledge of ethical research practices;
- Demonstrate high level written and oral skills required for postgraduate study.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information