6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Malaysia School of Arts and Social Sciences
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
- October intake 2018 (On-campus)
The unit introduces students to the topic of globalisation and its impact on the state. Unit is divided into three parts. The first segment provides a broad conceptual introduction to globalisation. In the second, students examine the impact of globalisation on the state. In the third, students evaluate the major criticisms of globalisation.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students should be able to:
- Identify the most important debates about globalization and its likely development;
- Explain the concept of the (nation)-state and evaluate the impact of globalization on the state;
- Explain why globalization has produced such a diverse group of opponents;
- Evaluate the causes and impacts of current global trends;
- Communicate ideas and arguments in verbal form;
- Write research reports and essays.
Within semester assessment: 60% + Exam: 40%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information