12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Malaysia School of Arts and Social Sciences
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
Students are provided with a general overview to various theories related to communications and media studies. With a pedagogical emphasis on inculcating reflexive practitioners. Theories discussed are in relation to the practices of journalism, organisational communication, public relations, advertising, and new media forms such as blogs and social networking sites.
- To develop awareness of the range of social and professional contexts in which communication occurs;
- To develop an understanding of communication as a set of practices and to identify common features within these practices;
- To introduce some of the major ways in which communication and media have been understood at a theoretical level;
- To consider the relation between theory and practice in the field of communication and an appreciation of how they can productively inform each other;
- To introduce communications and media studies as a basis for further graduate study and professional practice in the field.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information