12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
In this unit, students to develop an independent research project related to communication and media studies. The topic is chosen by the student and developed with the advice and support of a supervisor. The project is written up in a minor dissertation, allowing the student to demonstrate advanced skills in research, writing and project management.
On successful completion of the unit, students will be able to demonstrate:
- Increased knowledge, skills, and attributes necessary for independent research;
- An enhanced capacity to formulate and research communication issues;
- An enhanced capacity to analyse and evaluate arguments, and to understand critical approaches to the planning, writing and editing of a research topic;
- A capacity to design, manage, and carry out a research project.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information