12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Malaysia School of Arts and Social Sciences
Not offered in 2018
This unit aims to provide a detailed exploration on the workings of the media industry in Southeast Asia. It contextualizes the key theoretical frameworks and media issues within the region in order to obtain a deeper understanding into the current state of media and reporting in Southeast Asian countries. It aims to provide a historical context to develop an awareness of the politics of colonization and decolonization to understand its relevance to media and reporting in the region.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students should be able to:
- Develop an awareness of the history, impact and relevance of journalism in Southeast Asia;
- Develop an awareness of the different models of journalism, the tensions between them and the implications of each form;
- Develop and awareness of the politics of decolonization in the Southeast Asian context;
- Identify, observe and reflect on key issues involved in reporting and news production in Southeast Asia;
- Work independently and collaboratively in learning and production processes, including on online forums;
- Demonstrate an ability to set and meet deadlines;
- Demonstrate an awareness of local, national and international people and events relevant to current issues and media studies;
- Demonstrate a critical awareness of the capacities, limitations and socio-professional implications of journalistic practices in the Southeast Asian region.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information