6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
Designed as a flexible unit, with an innovative small-group mode of delivery that enables the unit content to be student-led. It is specifically designed to enable students to contextualise their own creative practice in theoretical terms. With an emphasis on creative and critically aware approaches to visual production, the unit aims to open up and consolidate research avenues that may be particularly productive for individual student's personal directions.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- grasp of key concepts in contemporary art theory relevant to the area of practice which they are pursuing;
- relate the terms of their practice to the broader field of contemporary art;
- practice criticism in small forums, identifying critical questions of other people's practice and considering and conjecturing how aesthetic standards are the expression of cultural values;
- sustain an exegetical defence of their work and its placement in current visual production;
- explain the senses in which their art practice involves research.
Two assignments: 30% and 70%
3 seminar hours and 9 independent study hours per week
See also Unit timetable information