12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
Issues of regionalism and internationalism will be addressed, as will the position of Australia in the global art world, including its relationship with the Asia-Pacific. The unit will move from discussion of the American influence to the 'pluralism' of the 1970s: minimal art, performance art and feminism. The focus from the 1980s to the present will address some of the following: neo-expressionism, appropriation, nomadology, aboriginality, post-feminism, developments in abstraction, installation, queer art, the body, relational and dialogical aesthetics. Contemporary theory will be addressed throughout.
On the successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Develop a thorough knowledge of Australian postmodern art.
- Apply critical skills that enable them to analyse contemporary art.
- Critically analyse the critical and theoretical debates related to postmodernism in Australia.
- Use advanced reading and research skills.
First seminar paper 2500 words (25%)
Second seminar paper 2500 words (35%)
Essay 4000 words (40%)
2 hours (1 x 2 hour seminar) per week
See also Unit timetable information