0 points, SCA Band 1, 0.000 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Students must be enrolled in the MADA Doctor of Philosophy course code 1322
Research Methods 1 introduces candidates to research design and methodology in the context of contemporary research, with particular emphasis on practice-based research. The unit is undertaken at the initial stages of the research degree and encourages the candidate to conceptualise their research project across theory and practice through a discursive engagement of the research and its field of inquiry.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- have developed a discursive approach to the subject of their research and its field of enquiry;
- have developed a critical understanding of methodologies in contemporary research, with particular emphasis on practice-based research;
- have developed a critical understanding of the forms, languages and conventions (theoretical and practical) of their research and field of enquiry;
- have developed a critical approach to the analysis of bibliographic and other empirical sources;
- have developed an understanding of research ethics and research integrity;
- be able to demonstrate an appreciation of the difference between professional practice in their discipline and research in their discipline.
In semester assessment: 100%
2 hours per week, 8 hours of private study
See also Unit timetable information