6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
AFC3120, ACC3120, AFF3491, ACF3491, AFW3050,, ACG3050 and AFG3050
Financial accounting topics covered by this unit include: Australian accounting standards, institutional setting and the conceptual framework; accounting for leases; accounting for employee benefits; accounting for financial instruments; cash flow reporting; segment reporting; accounting for EPS; accounting for extractive industries; accounting for agriculture; financial reporting in the public sector; foreign currency translation; and social and environmental reporting.
The learning objectives associated with this unit are to:
- acquire advanced knowledge of the conceptual framework and disclosure requirements in accordance with the accounting standards and the statutory laws
- develop an improved understanding of how professional policies are formulated in preparation of accounting for various financial accounting issues with particular reference to current practice
- develop critical skills in written communication and problem analysis through the completion of comprehensive assignment exercise and /or essays
- develop an ability to work independently and to participate in group discussions with participants from diverse backgrounds
- demonstrate in an individual summative assessment task the acquisition of a comprehensive understanding of the topics covered by ACB3050.
Within semester assessment: 50% + Examination: 50%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information