This specialisation will prepare you for the professional practice of high-quality journalism and production across all media platforms. It recognises the fundamental interdependence of journalism practice, theory and empirical research, where each is an essential thread in the fabric of journalism that matters. You will gain knowledge of all production technologies using the state-of-the-art Monash Media Lab, which houses integrated teaching and production/research facilities. The specialisation will provide you with advanced skills in research, writing and communication for professional practice and is founded on the principle that robust and accurate journalism is an essential component of a democratic society. You will also explore foundational and contemporary scholarship about the context and practice of journalism in Australia and internationally, with extensive use of media examples and case studies.
This area of study entry applies to students commencing this course in 2018 and should be read in conjunction with the relevant course entry in the Handbook.
Any units listed for this area of study relate only to the 'Requirements' outlined in the component of any bachelors double degrees.
Unit codes that are not linked to their entry in the Handbook are not available for study in the current year.
School of Media, Film and Journalism
Media communicationMedia communication (https://arts.monash.edu/bachelor-of-media-communication/)
Two first-year level gateway units (12 points):
One level 2 cornerstone unit (6 points) chosen from:
One level 3 capstone unit (6 points) chosen from:
The following unit (6 points):
- ATS3786 Journalism, law and ethics
Five units (30 points) chosen from:
- the remaining cornerstone, capstone unit, media practice labs or from the elective list below
- ATS2087 Lifestyle journalism
- ATS2169 Photojournalism
- ATS2647Not offered in 2018 Journalism: War, crime and trauma
- ATS2788 Audio storytelling
- ATS2790 Feature writing
- ATS2791 Editing and design
- ATS3062 Digital production
- ATS3113 Reporting the Arts circuit
- ATS3278Not offered in 2018 Advanced writing and interviewing
- ATS3789 Video journalism
- ATS3795 Global correspondent
- ATS3808 Investigative reporting
- ATS3918 International journalism professional project
Successful completion of this specialisation can be counted towards meeting the requirements for the following single degree:
- A2002 Bachelor of Media Communication
Students in other single bachelor's degrees are not eligible to complete this specialisation.
Successful completion of this specialisation can be counted towards meeting the requirements for the Bachelor of Media Communication component in the following double degrees: