Business statistics involves the extraction of information from data. It comprises a set of tools for analysing data using economic theories or computer-based statistical models. Statistical and econometric analysis provides informed support for business and economic decision-making.
Business statistics is listed in the Bachelor of Business at Caulfield as a major or minor.
In addition to achieving the broad outcomes of their course, students successfully completing this major will be able to:
- use forecasting techniques in a business environment.
Major requirements (48 points)
No more than 12 points at level 1 may be credited to a major and at least 18 points must be credited to the major at level 3.
- The following two units (12 points):
- Six units (36 points) from the following, with at least three units (18 points) at level 3:
- ETF2100 Introductory econometrics
- ETF2480 Business modelling
- ETF2700 Mathematics for business
- ETF3200 Applied econometrics*
- ETF3231 Business forecasting
- ETF3300 Quantitative methods for financial markets
- ETF3480 Optimisation for managers
- ETF3500 High dimensional data analysis
- ETF3600 Quantitative models for business research
- ETX2250 Data visualisation and analytics
Minor requirements (24 points)
- any four units (24 points) from the major, offered at the Caulfield campus, including at least two units (12 points) at level 2 or 3.
Successful completion of the major can be counted towards meeting the requirements for the following single degree:
- B2000 Bachelor of Business
Students in this course can complete the minor using 24 points of their free electives.*
Students in other single bachelor's degrees may be eligible to complete the minor or major by using 24 or 48 points of their free electives.
Successful completion of the major can be counted towards meeting the requirements for the Bachelor of Business component in the following double degrees:
- B2019 Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of Arts
- B2013 Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of Business Specialist
- B2017 Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of Information Technology
- B2028 Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of Media Communication
- F2004 Bachelor of Design and Bachelor of Business
- D3007 Bachelor of Education (Honours) and Bachelor of Business
- F2007 Bachelor of Fine Art and Bachelor of Business