6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
- Summer semester B 2017 (On-campus block of classes)
This unit aims to provide an understanding of sampling designs and inference, confidence limits and tests on means, proportion, differences, cross tabulation, with chi square, simple and multiple linear regression (regression with non-linear terms), regression with dummy variables, and an introduction to the analysis of variance. This unit uses Excel.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- choose and apply an appropriate sampling design
- understand and interpret confidence intervals and hypothesis tests for means, proportions and variances, and be able to identify significant differences
- understand and conduct regression analyses to interpret and communicate the business value of the results
- understand and conduct one way analysis of variance in business problems
- understand the concept and application of Chi-square test for independence between business variables.
Within semester assessment: 35% + Examination: 65%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information