6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
Sampling designs and inference; confidence limits and tests on means, proportion, differences. Cross tabulation, with chi square. Simple and multiple linear regression: regression with non-linear terms; regression with dummy variables. Introduction to analysis of variance. Uses Excel.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- choose and apply an appropriate sampling design
- understand and interpret confidence intervals and hypothesis tests for means, proportions and variances, and be able to identify significant differences
- understand and conduct regression analyses to interpret and communicate the business value of the results
- understand and conduct one way analysis of variance in business problems
- understand the concept and application of Chi-square test for independence between business variables.
Within semester assessment: 35% + Examination: 65%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
ETW1010 and ETW1031